Microsoft provides some best email client applications for Windows platforms which include Windows Live Mail and MS Outlook. Both these applications are highly popular among Windows users. Before Windows Live Mail, Microsoft provided Outlook Express and Windows Mail in Windows XP and Vista respectively. The Outlook Express application was replaced by Windows Mail in Windows Vista. But in Windows 7, the Windows Mail was replaced by Windows Live Mail. This application can be easily downloaded from the Windows Essentials suite. Now let’s discuss MS Outlook, the most popular email client of Microsoft. MS Outlook is a part of a well-known Office suite of Microsoft. It also comes as a separate application and you can download it from the Microsoft Office official site.
Both these email client applications, i.e. Windows Live Mail and Microsoft Outlook, support different file formats, i.e. EML in Windows Live Mail and PST in Outlook. Though MS Outlook 2013 also supports the EML format, but a large number of computer users still use earlier versions of Outlook, i.e. MS Outlook 2010 or earlier. Windows Live Mail creates a specific type of file, called EML, that stores a single email message or it may also contain an attachment. EML files can also be opened by Outlook Express, but MS Outlook doesn’t support such file format, i.e. only MS Outlook 2013 can support EML format. Outlook stores all the mailbox data (including the email messages) into an Outlook data file, which is often called PST or personal storage table.
Sometimes you may need to migrate the EML files to MS Outlook if you are switching from Windows Live Mail to MS Outlook. If you are using Outlook 2013, you can access the EML files with ease. But if you are using MS Outlook 2010 or any earlier version, it might be quite tricky for you to migrate the EML files to your Outlook. Unluckily, Microsoft doesn’t provide anything that can help you migrate the EML files to your Outlook email client directly. But luckily, I know a manual trick that can help you import the EML files from Windows Live Mail to Outlook. Though many software companies provide third-party converter tools for EML to PST conversion, but I would strongly suggest a manual trick (given below) before purchasing any converter tool.
Follow the steps given below to import the EML files from Windows Live Mail to Outlook:
- First of all, launch Microsoft Outlook and Windows Live Mail one by one on your system.
- Now first come to Windows Live Mail, click File button > select Export > Email messages.
- This time select Microsoft Exchange as the format and hit Next.
- Right after hitting next, you will receive this “all email will be exported to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange”. You can click OK to continue.
- By using the Select Folders option, you need to select all email folders or the appropriate folders which you want to export.
- Once you have selected the appropriate option, click OK.
- Right after that, the export process will be started and you need to wait until it gets completed successfully.
- Within a few seconds, the process will be completed and a dialog box Export Complete will be appeared on the screen. Click Finish.
- Though the above manual trick is very safe and easy to perform, however you must take backup of your EML files before executing the trick.
- In case of failure, you can try a third-party converter tool that can successfully convert your EML files into Outlook PST format in a very safe mode.